12 Jul Explore nature’s playground: 20 family-friendly Yorkshire camping activities
With its rolling hills, picturesque villages and outdoor adventures, The Yorkshire Dales is a haven for families wishing to escape the hustle and bustle of city life and immerse in the beauty of nature. Masons Campsite is the ideal spot to enjoy everything from fabulous food to fun days out. So, with that in mind, here are the top 20 things we love to do as a family. We hope you tick some of them off on your list next time you choose to stay.
For the foodies
One of our favourite things to do when we get away is to eat! Yorkshire is renowned for its great food and drink spots, across the county you can find the best of everything – from a Michelin star to fish and chips in your car! If getting full is on the top of your agenda, we have just the places for you…
1. Just unpacked? You all deserve a drink! Thankfully, we’re a stone’s throw away from Appletreewick’s locals, the Craven Arms and the New Inn. Even the Guardian says so! Both have a great atmosphere and lovely outdoor areas for all generations to enjoy.
2. Life is far too short to eat dinner at a chain restaurant. Plus, they’re rather difficult to find around here! Instead, head over to Skipton, Ilkley or Grassington for a meal to remember. We have lots of recommendations up our sleeve!
3. During the day, there’s lots to see – we will dive into that in the sections below. But, if you’re guided by your tummy, make time to stop by the Wensleydale Creamery and Billy Bob’s Ice Cream Parlour – they’re not to be missed.
4. When morning comes around, there’s nowhere better to be than in your bed, hearing the sounds of nature and smelling fresh barista coffee. That’s why we couldn’t resist opening The Bread Shed on-site, with fresh pastries, brewed coffee, and home-made cakes.
5. Fancy a night in too? Shop local at on-site shop and enjoy tasty bacon, sausages, free range eggs and more.
Bring out your competitive side
When we get away as a family, we’re always looking for games and fun for all to enjoy – when things get competitive, that’s even better! Here are our favourite things to do that get the blood pumping, adrenaline running, and make time fly by.
6. Our on-site family fun with boules and skittles is an easy way to spend your afternoon… until things get serious!
7. Do you have an adrenaline junkie in your group? Go Ape Dalby should be top of your list!
8. We’re under an hour away by car to Lightwater Valley, one of Yorkshire’s best theme parks – this is where you can catch Europe’s longest traditional roller coaster.
9. The Forbidden Corner is a completely unique, fun experience for all the family – we don’t way to give too much away, so this is definitely something you need to see your yourselves.
10. Do you have a day to spare and plenty of walking practice? The Yorkshire Three Peaks is a challenging but rewarding experience – breakfast in bed the following day is a must!
Time to relax
Yorkshire is a great place to put your feet up with some easy-going activities that unite the family and offer some serious bonding time. Take a look below.
11. Old or young, fly fishing on the banks of the River Wharfe or Kilnsey Trout Farm is a great way to take in nature and teach the next generation a thing or two.
12. At Masons Campsite we offer fire pit hire – just bring your own campsite stories!
13. Have you tried wild swimming? We’re on the banks of the River Wharfe so there’s no excuse now.
14. The Embsay & Bolton Abbey Steam Train provides an opportunity to take in some history, scenery, or even a scone or two!
15. There’s more where that came from too with our local museums and castles, including the Yorkshire Air Museum, Middleham Castle, Bolton Castle, Skipton Castle, Wensleydale Railway and Ripon Museum.
Days out: Start exploring
Days out mean new experiences, which quickly turn into great memories for years to come. These are some of the more low-key days out that won’t break the bank or make you sweat!
16. Our local villages are fun to explore even with no plans in advance. Grassington is a top rural filming location, Skipton’s high street is bustling on a market day, and Ilkley is a fantastic retreat with lovely parklands.
17. From your tent you can explore some of the more picturesque walks such as the famous Strid Wood and Bolton Abbey.
18. Have you tried caving before? Take a look at White Scar Cave and Stump Cross Caverns for a relaxing, knowledgeable day out.
19. A country manor house is never too far away in Yorkshire, with gardens and scenic views a ‘plenty. Our favourites include Harlow Carr Gardens and Newby Hall.
20. Finally, Yorkshire is well-known for wildlife, but to get close-up, we recommend a play date at Playdale Farm Park, Hesketh Farm Park, or Thornton Hall.
We’re ready when you are
… and we can’t wait to hear all about your big days out! Take a look at our accommodation options – from parking and pitching to fully assembled yurts.